fwd: Test broadcast in broadband Ogg Vorbis]

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Fri Feb 7 14:20:54 MST 2003

Hi all.

I thought I'd pass this along, for anyone who is interested.

Greg

----- Forwarded message from Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au> -----

From: Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
To: speakup at braille.uwo.ca,  <blindcast at yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Test broadcast in broadband Ogg Vorbis
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 03:59:56 +1000 (EST)

Hi:

At 1 GMT Saturday, that's 8Pm Eastern on Friday night, 5Pm Pacific on
Friday and 11Am Saturday morning here in Australia,  Amanda Tink and I will
be doing a special broadcast using the totally cool Ogg Vorbis codec.  Ogg
Vorbis is a patent-free, royalty-free, lossy audio compression codec, which
provides a totally free and superior alternative to MP3, Windows Media,
Realaudio, etc.  for more information on Ogg Vorbis, you can visit
www.vorbis.com.

So why is this of any interest?  Well, in my not so humble opinion, 64kbps
vorbis sounds better than 96kbps MP3 and, arguably, better than 128kbps
MP3.  It sounds great, and I'd like everyone to have a chance to hear it.
So we'll be doing a broadcast for a couple of hours to show it off, and
you're invited to listen and write in.

To listen, you'll need a player that can play ogg vorbis.  Under windows,
Winamp is the recommended player.  If you have winamp 2.80 or 2.81, you
should already have the vorbis plugin installed.  If you have an older
version and don't want to upgrade, drop me a private E-mail and I can send
you the plugin (it's only 100K).  If you're using linux, then ogg123 from
vorbis-tools will work for you, and there's also freeamp/zinf.

Here is the address of the broadcast.  For winamp users, place this address
in the open location dialog (control L).

http://linux-speakup.org:9000/test64.ogg

If you don't have broadband or you want to hear what it sounds like at
modem
rates, there will also be two other streams.  One will be for 56K modem
listeners and is 22.05khz stereo (aprox 32kbps).

http://linux-speakup.org:9000/test32.ogg

The other is a mono stream for slower modems that cannot receive the stereo
stream.

http://linux-speakup.org:9000/test24.ogg

Note that these two lower streams may have to be shut down if providing
them takes up too many resources on the server machine (that's part of
what's being tested).

So, join Amanda and myself for a couple of hours of great music from the
last 20 or so years, including Australian music, and us rambling on about
whatever and whoever suits our fancy.  During the show you can write to us
at amanda at acbradio.org.  Enquiries of a technical nature please write to
me
privately at gshang at uq.net.au.

Please forward to anyone or any mailing lists you think would be
interested.

We look forward to having you join us at 8Pm Eastern, 5Pm Pacific, that's
01 hours GMT Saturday!

Note:  for those interested in the software being used.  I'll be running
ices 2.0beta from CVS at my end.  The server is icecast2 (CVS as of a few
months ago).  The transcode for the lower quality vorbis streams will be
done using streamtranscoder (http://transcoder.sourceforge.net) version
0.2.  Both the source and server machines run Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 (Woody).

Geoff.

--
Geoff Shang <gshang at uq.net.au>
ICQ number 43634701

Make sure your E-mail can be read by everyone!
http://www.betips.net/etc/evilmail.html