bn kbd

Saqib Shaikh me at saqibshaikh.com
Wed Jun 18 00:34:21 MST 2003

hi

i'm pretty sure that the braille note's braille keyboard is software based
and not hardware based.

what would be required is to write a kernel-level keyboard driver.  The
first thing this driver should do is actually get the keypresses from the
keyboard.  This is the bit I don't know how to do but presumably somehow you
can figure out which keys are being pressed and released.

Once this is done all you need is to use a lookup table to convert from6 dot
braille, plus the modifier keys, to ascii - and then send this on to the
kernel.  Again, unless PDI are willing to help it seems unlikely that we can
reverse-engineer the kwin ce keyboard driver!  Let's just pray it is done in
hardware.

Saqib