Future promises for BrailleNote From CSUN

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Fri Apr 2 11:10:40 MST 2004

Hi all,

Of interest to all BrailleNote and VoiceNote users, without doubt, was the
PulseData coverage on CSUN presented to Main Menu.  This is Marlaina
Malmburg and Jonathan Mosen (probably got the spellings wrong, sorry about
that) in a head-to-head about the BN presentation at CSUN, the new
features in KeySoft v5.1, and - of likely the greatest interest to us and
other BN users - the future development model for the BrailleNote that is
vaguely hinted at in response to Marlaina's line of admirably direct
questioning concerning the BrailleNote as a closed platform.  You want to
hear this.  The link to the MP3 from ACB Radio's Main Menu's archive is:
http://www.acbradio.org/archives/mainmenu/mm1653.mp3

The immediate questions that spring to my mind - and there always will be
some - seem to be: if the development model is sufficiently open that any
number of utilities and applications can be written for the BrailleNote,
is the BrailleNote-On-Linux project still worth pursuing?  If so, is the
possible lack of functionality lost in the transition to Linux going to be
worth the use of entirely open source software?  Is now the time to
advocate open source to PulseData, in the hope that they will see the
immediate value in it and its obvious benefits in the war that is now
waged so terribly against FreedomScientific?  Does the licensing bother
concerning the open source software I reported on earlier still warrant,
to you, the need to open source the entire system?  Do you feel at peace
with PulseData and/or their methods and predictions, or do you hate them
to bits?  If PulseData made their architecture open, does it bother you
that Windows CE is going to be closed - just how far do you want this to
go, or how far do you think it's worth going?  From my last enquiry: do
you understand the virtue of PulseData's methods - the ease-of-use
philosophy?  Are PulseData slow to catch, and do they have an attitude
problem, or is it just that Jonathan is being honest and things will
improve?  Your answers, as always, are of interest.  My answers will
probably make their appearance shortly afterward - either here or on their
BN list.

Speaking of which, how do you get onto that list?  I can't find a single
reference on their homepage!

Cheers,
Sabahattin
- --
Thought for the day:
    A penny saved is ridiculous.

Latest PGP Public key blocks?  Send any mail to:
<PGPPublicKey at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com>

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 (0)20 7,502-1615
Mobile: +44 (0)7986 053399
http://www.sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/
Email/MSN: <mail at Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com>