Linux on the PK?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Thu Jul 29 09:35:42 MST 2004

Will gnu/linux run on the pk is a good question, and one which I asked
myself when I first saw the release announcement for the pk. If it's a
strongarm or xscale based machine, then chances are good that linux
can run on it. On the other hand, as our development team has figured
out, having a kernel that runs on a particular CPU doesn't do any
good, if that kernel won't support features specific to a particular
platform. For example, there is currently linux development going on
for the NEC VR4121 CPU, which is what is in the regular
braillenote. However, since the braillenote's hardware seems to be
closely related to that of a Casio e-105, we are stuck, since
development for that particular Casio model in the mips port of the
linux kernel seems to be at a stand still. So, in short, having a CPU
that linux will run on isn't everything, and is just a small
beginning. I guess the way to find out if linux will run on a pk is
for someone to get one into their hands, and play with it.

I don't know how agreeable manufacturers would be when it came to
releasing the specs for their hardware, just so someone could do away
with the proprietary software, and install something else. However, if
the consequence for not doing so was the loss of customers with buying
power, then maybe ... Also, consider how likely rehab agencies would be to
listen to, and act on such a request?

Greg

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 12:44:40PM +0000, Doug Lawlor wrote:

> >I wonder will it be any easier to get linux on the PK? I saw a message
> >from the engineair from Sendero saying that the PK will have a 400 mhz
> >processor. I wonder is this thing going to be a strongarm or a xscale
> >(spelling?) processor from Intel? I onestly wonder would there be any
> >sense in lobbying the rehab organizations who purchase the bulk of these
> >products to specify that the hardware specifications of these devices must
> >be made available so we can put something on them other than the market
> >offerings from their respective manufacturers? Somehow I feel this may be
> >the only way we are going to see a change in this industry towards open
> >hardware specifications being made available. Something to think about.
>

> Doug
>

> !DSPAM:41091469240549619022516!

- --