Linux on the PK?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Thu Jul 29 11:01:47 MST 2004

Just to add to this, I heard that Blazie did in fact have a notetaker
in beta that ran linux, and ran it very nicely from what I
heard. Also, when FS decided to go with windows CE on what we now know
as the pac mate, a lot of people left FS supposedly, because they
wanted to see a linux-based notetaker instead from what I've heard.

Also, we don't know for sure that the legacy Blazie notetakers,
including the millennium units are running cp/m. That's been suspected by
a lot of folks, but just because these units have a z80/z180 CPU,
doesn't mean they are running cp/m, as opposed to a proprietary OS.

As an alternative to Fedora core2, let me suggest slackware
<http://www.slackware.com/> which also comes with gnopernicus, and has
the added benefit of having speakup in the official stock
distribution, which means the install media doesn't have to be
modified to include speakup like Fedora core2 does.

Greg

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 06:21:57PM +0100, Saqib Shaikh wrote:
> Hi
>
> Regarding Linux on the Pacmate:
> It was rumoured that FS asked "someone" to try putting Linux on the Pacmate
> to see what happened.  In other words, they didn't want to invest the time,
> but hadn't totally written Linux off.  Just thought you ought to know this.
>
> A bit of history: before FS existed Blazie were going to make a Linux
> braille lite - the Millennium would have Linux on it.  However, when FS was
> born the release of the millennium was put back, and due to the merger
> several changes were made.  Since Arkenstone and HJ made Windows software,
> and the software developers were familiar with Windows, it was decided that
> this should be the platform of the nextgen notetaker - for the time being
> they stuck with their CP/M-based system.  So, at the time management were
> enthused by Linux because of its low cost, and it looks like they haven't
> totally given up on it, though Windows is definitely their platform of
> choice.
>
> I don't think we'll see a Linux pacmate for a while, and even if one day we
> do, it will be sold as a second rate alternative product.
>
> Moving onto your Gnopernicus query - get a Linux distribution that includes
> it, such as Fedora Core 2.
>
> Saqib

- --