Freedom Scientific Gets Aggressive, Pursues PDI Folk

Saqib Shaikh me at saqibshaikh.com
Sat Mar 20 00:23:22 MST 2004

Hi

I have a couple of points on this topic:

1.  JRW is indeed correct about hardware support - check out PacMateGear.com
if you have any doubts.

2.  Likewise about new developments - anyone is free to write their own
application if one doesn't already exist - for example, an SSH client, Frotz
for Windows C.E., a telephone answering machine - just get the free compiler
from MS and you're away.

3.  But... Some people, noteably Sebby, are electronic freedom fighters.
People like Sebby and Richard Stallman won't be happy unless the business of
selling software cripples and dies (something I don't think will ever
completely happen).  But for people like that FS have quietly said that they
would be interested to have a Linux PacMate alongside the Windows C.E. one.
It would also be very much easier to put Linux on a PacMate if you were so
inclined - could use the Familiar Linux distribution from handhelds.org, and
put BrlTTY on it, or even put G.P.E. on it and write a GTK screen reader.
Its much more standard hardware.

4.  I don't think the PacMate is at risk of going out of date like the BN
possibly is.  This is because HP will continue to advance the Ipaaq, which
directly affects the hardware inside the PM.  Likewise MS continue to update
Pocket PC, and FS continue to update JAWS.

5.  My only hesitation with the PM is that it is a specially made device
without the advantages of the BN's organised menus.  It is also so big that
there are laptops (including my own) that are smaller and lighter.

Anyway, that's my £5 worth.
Aqib Shaikh