FreeSoft and the Ever-Changing Hardware of Today

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Fri Nov 3 16:46:45 MST 2006

Hi everyone,

It's come to light recently, after a somewhat lengthy interlude of
silence, that we are no longer in possession of the Humanware hardware we
once were: one of our members had to give his unit back, the other has
upgraded to the latest hardware available.  We therefore no longer have
the original basis for FreeSoft, that of early-day, expensive hardware
upon which to run a cool suite of apps powered by Open Source rather than
the cludgy software currently in use.  Not, of course, to say that we
haven't discussed running FreeSoft on anything else, of course; it's just
that we really are spread thin now as far as supporting any given platform
goes.

It seems like a good opportunity to ask everyone what they think of the
whole idea now that times are changing, Freedom Scientific is offering
trade-in programs few people are apparently able to refuse, key staff of
PulseData have left for other jobs or worlds, and the prospect of any kind
of external support in anything but the vaguest geek projects spun off by
other people elsewhere working on entirely different projects is entirely
unlikely.  Help from Humanware seems certainly unlikely.  We were here to
bring Open Source to an expensive but very suitably blind-friendly
hardware basis, and although we've had some geek successes in running a
NetBSD kernel and developing a couple of system tools in aid of the
project, we just haven't got enough to make any kind of progress on any
given platform.  One of a kind and no tech specs isn't enough.

It would be disappointing indeed to consign these expensive units to the
grave and abandon the project, but if we must then we must.  We ask you to
give your opinions.  Is the enterprise worth pursuing?  Other projects may
start up on clean slates, other projects already run Linux on accessible
PDAs, and the world of Windows CE is open to anyone who will pay for it or
trade in using Freedom Scientific's current offer.

Please tell us if you're alive and whether you think anything can come out
of this.  We'd rather scrap the whole idea if there's no enthusiasm in it
than try fruitlessly to continue in the current conditions.  Any last-
ditch appeals, offers of help or other recommendations are welcome.

Cheers,
Sabahattin

Address harvesters, snag this: feedme at yamta.org
Phone: +44 20 88008915