I'm Armed!

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Sat Apr 3 18:35:00 MST 2004

Hi all,

All that's left is to press the detonate clip...

I am ready to begin my long-haul assault upon the BrailleNote list.  I
don't wish to bring Linux or the project directly into play and/or risk
here, because we've done that time and again.  I just want, once and for
all, to put all the points we've discussed on this list, for how we would
like PDI to progress in terms of the fully open vs half open state of
things (as opposed to the fully closed system it is now).  I've spoken to
people, directly, through this list or otherwise, on the phone and by
email; I very much want to put the views we have felt, from the least
possible extreme possible, to the list where it seems most attention will
be gained.  Topics covered are, in no particular order:

Philosophy is recognised.  Menus and convenience are definitely a plus.
GUI has no real baring, in the sense that the openness of software is of
greater importance than the need for a graphical representation.  We like
menu structure, consistency and order, and ease of use.

The license violation - it never got sorted, I want to put this up for
public debate.
The issue of choice between opening the API and opening the entire system,
with the latter being preferable.  In both cases, Windows CE is still the
operating system.  Advocating Linux is but one possible outcome of open
source, to whatever extent.  I think we agreed though that windows CE
isn't significant if some or all of KeySoft can be developed by end-users -
 after all, we use Windows PCs and don't object to using Visual Studio,
even if the code thus generated may run on Windows and may even be closed
source.  So, a Windows-like development model wouldn't be so bad for
KeySoft development, with publically available user SDKs and such like.
Meantime, the power of Linux is its shell, and if PDI should think about
Linux and the open source movement, in a bid perhaps to gain some footing
against FreedomScientific (which, we admit, is as good a time as ever,
what with PulseData's struggling to keep its cool) for the sake of
complete user independence, then the project - er, some friends of mine -
are the best people to get in touch with to facilitate any possible
negotiation.  In such negotiation, we aren't signing no stinkin' non-
disclosure agreements.  If PulseData want to close source parts of their
software and charge, so be it - we don't object, as long as we don't have
to distribute it and have licensing ties to it.  We are also likely to
push open source to the advocacy limit, which is basically to GPL the
whole lot.

Last, of course, is this project: the aims, the purpose, the
understandings and requirements, the specs.  Patience can no longer be a
priority.  I have other projects to attend to, one of which may involve a
bit of exhibitioning (if I can make it).

Before I blaze onto the list with a punchline likee "Open up the darn
system!", I need your general agreement and approval, murmers of
constination, or whatever.  Any suggestions or corrections are welcome.  I
assure you that this effort will be to my own possible disadvantage - the
mention of names and identities may, at your option, be kept vague and
confidential in the event that they don't like what I say.

I'm waiting!  I just want to get on with this.

This message is signed cryptographically for non-repudiation purposes.
This is really me.

Cheers,
Sabahattin
- --
Thought for the day:
    Bagpipes (n): an octopus wearing a kilt.

Latest PGP Public key blocks?  Send any mail to:
<PGPPublicKey at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com>

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 (0)20 7,502-1615
Mobile: +44 (0)7986 053399
http://www.sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/
Email/MSN: <mail at Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com>