keysoft 4.02

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Sat May 1 17:51:57 MST 2004

Hi Greg,

On 1 May 2004 at 19:02, Gregory Nowak spoke, thus:

> Looking at PDI's downloads page, I notice that there are release notes
> for keysoft 4.02, build 1992. The release notes indicate that this is a
> free upgrade for classic board units, and that the file can be
> downloaded from the download page. Looking at the download page, I only
> see keysoft 4.01. Does anyone know anything about this?

Yes, I spotted the same thing.  Since I'm a proud owner of KeySoft version
5 on a new board, I didn't hit quicksand in that respect.  However, ever
complete as I usually am, and in the knowledge that it might one day come
into use because, for instance, I may want to reset my BrailleNote to its
firmware-built version 4.01 (which they incidentally fitted for me
completely without my knowledge at the time they repaired it and upgraded
the firmware from 3.07), I kept it when it was originally made available.
Since I have no idea why it was withdrawn, and I can't see why they should
withdraw it for reasons of financial gain (unless there is a sinister plot
to make everyone upgrade to version 5 for whatever reason), I suppose
there's a chance that installing this software will do something horrible
to your BrailleNote.  However, it fixes many in-need-of-fixing bugs in
what is arguably a very stable version of KeySoft, so I reckon (especially
if you know you have a recent 4.0 version in firmware - that can be
determined by resetting with dots 1-2-3 or S-D-F held down and checking
the version number that is displayed on startup or from the information
item) the upgrade is worth it.  The files (installer and release note) are
attached to this here message for the benefit of all concerned; hope it
doesn't inconvenience anyone, but I don't really want to make it
publically available on some site somewhere.  If you use a classic board,
don't forget to get the manuals appropriate for your machine at their
site, if you don't already have the version 4 manual installed - follow
the release note to see how to do that.  You might try asking on the
BrailleNote list why this happened, but I must confess that although it is
great fun to read the shouting on the list and occasionally help in some
poor sod's network configuration, that they're a bit boring and that you
probably won't find they're very helpful.

I had to ask for this message from the archives because your Earthlink
smarthost is busted, BTW.  I'll forward you the bounce (I'll bounce/resend
it).  Seems the smarthost you use didn't like the message data when it was
submitted due to an invalid "To:" field.  Can't you just use end-to-end
delivery?  Or is it that Earthlink are now doing that most terrible of
things, port 25 blocking?  Either way, you didn't talk to me directly, the
message never reached me, so EZMLM sent me the warning, which did.  Hope
this gets through and comes back - that will show that the incident was a
one off.

Cheers,
Sabahattin
--
Thought for the day:
    Intuition (n): an uncanny sixth sense which tells people

Latest PGP Public key blocks?  Send any mail to:
<PGPPublicKey at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com>

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 (0)20 7,502-1615
Mobile: +44 (0)7986 053399
http://www.sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/
Email/MSN: <mail at Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com>