keysoft 4.02

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Sat May 1 20:03:51 MST 2004

Hi Greg,

On 1 May 2004 at 21:01, Gregory Nowak spoke, thus:

> Thanks for the attachment, I hope though that a file that large won't
> draw bitter complaints from others.

Yes, I see this is not a modest size, particularly for dialup folk.
Apologies to others if it was an inconvenience, I couldn't think of any
other simple way of distributing the file, short of using an URL (not a
neat idea, I don't think) or sending it to individual people.

> Yes, I know the previous message from the list to you bounced, because I
> got a copy of that bounce sent to me (don't know why).

That was probably the bounced copy I mailed you - check the headers,
you'll see Resent-From and Resent-To fields if it is.  If you have only
that copy, it definitely is.

> It looks like the smarthost might just have had a one-time problem, but
> we'll see.

Well, my message went out and came back, so it looks like it.  However, I
have just received another message from EZMLM quoting Sandra's very recent
post to the list.  I think this is the promised probe EZMLM was to send
me.  Since I have received it, I can only wonder what caused the original
distribution to fail again.  Scrutinising data during the SMTP transaction
like that is not, on the whole, a very good or proper thing to do.  This
is Earthlink - I've just had to report two spams originating from that
network, yet they are the network suing spammers.  Mmmm... something not
quite right there.

> Yes, unfortunately, earthlink is blocking outbound smtp to anything
> but their servers. I was very unhappy to find that out when I switched to
> them after the nightmares with my old ISP, especially since I told the
> customer rep. guy at earthlink that I intend to run a server, and he didn't
> tell me they block outbound smtp. However, since I've been able to use them
> as a smarthost with mostly no problems, I let it pass.

Aaaaaaarghhh!  Well, if you continue to find one way or another that
Earthlink's smarthost is not performing as it should, I'm happy to give
you a username and password and let you use my host as an effective
smarthost/relay.  This is on cable, but I can perform end-to-end delivery
without any problems whatsoever to destination servers on TCP port 25,
except - of course - where I'm blocked because I am a dialup/dynamic IP
address holder.  My view is that if someone doesn't receive my mail,
though, it's *their* problem and not mine.  So, if you like, and if you
can use TCP port 587 (defined as submission port - see RFC 2476) (try
"telnet yamta.org 587"), then let me know if it works and I'll get you a
SMTP auth user/pass pair.

Cheers,
Sabahattin
- --
Thought for the day:
    Book (n): a utensil used to pass time while waiting
    for the TV repairman.

Latest PGP Public key blocks?  Send any mail to:
<PGPPublicKey at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com>

Sabahattin Gucukoglu
Phone: +44 (0)20 7,502-1615
Mobile: +44 (0)7986 053399
http://www.sabahattin-gucukoglu.com/
Email/MSN: <mail at Sabahattin-Gucukoglu.com>