OK! Since its quiet.......

Frank Carmickle frankiec at frankiec.net
Tue Jan 14 07:42:30 MST 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, sandra tomkins wrote:

> Hi there (sounds like Eddie the shipboard computer),
>   Seeing as this list is getting off to a gentle start, traficwise, I
> will venture the question which is burning in my mind, but will not be
> offended if it is too basic for any of you.

Yes it is quiet.  I don't know who is even on here or what kinds of things
each of us bring to the table.  I was waiting for the admin to do the
introductions?

>   I understand the non-commercial basis of linux, and applaud it.  I
> also understand that, as a kernel for an OS, it is more robust and
> efficient.  What I don't know about is; what would be the advantages to
> me, both as a bn user or a laptop with screen-reader user to incorporate
> linux onto my system, as it appears at first glance that it is very
> user-unfriendly. Am I insulting anyone here?

Well as mac user sits down to the windows machine she screams "I can't use
this!"  Or the windows guy sits down to OS2...  You see my point.
Everything takes a little getting used to.  And no you didn't insult me.

I personally want a linux kernel running on a accessible portable system
so that I can have more hardware support, choices as to what software I
run, and the ability to create software for the platform in a much more
cost effective manner.  Libraries and compilers being freely available
makes this so.  The windows ce platform has some restrictions on size of
memory/storage foot print, tcpip network layer, and usb device support.
I really want to see the blinux programmers come together and adapt some of
the already usable software for gps navigation to ncurses environments.
My vision is to see myself someday carrying one device.  That device will
have my audio books, my gps software with all of my maps, my wireless
network access, and my cell phone in one little box.  This is very doable
with our current technology.  Some people are already doing this.  I
believe that blinks could benefit from this even more then our sighted
friends.

Personally I am not sure that the braille note is the best platform for
this.  A year ago I was working with a team of folks to make this happen.
We never got beyond the initial stages because the units that we were
promised never showed up.  I have already done some of the initial ground
work in trying to figure out what is all inside this little bugger and I
think I have some clue.  Personally I would like to see this project move
forward for the people who have already spent the money on these machines.
It's way to pricy of a box for my liking and it does not have any real
power under the hood.  For $350 US I can pick up a Sharp Zaurus that is
already running linux.  Please don't misunderstand me.  I do want to help
in this project because I do believe it useful.  I just think there are
better hardware platforms that are cheaper.

So where are we?  What are the things stopping us from moving forward now?
How many of us have units?  And who wants to sacrifice theirs to the great
penguin?

Frank